Friday, October 1, 2010

parenting road block ahead

I LOVE my Boys. I LOVE them.


But, it's official. I've hit a Parenting Road Block.


I have a 2 year old telling me, "NO!" Over everything. Even things he means to say, "YES!" to, he's telling me, "NO!" It's exhausting. And I argue, and beg, and plead for him to obey.


I have a 3 year old that is easily angered. And he hollers. A lot. And I get angry right back. And holler too.


I have a 5 year old that is stubborn. Strong willed. Whatever you want to call it. He doesn't back down. I do.


As I struggle to figure this out, the only thing I can come up with, is that it has to be me.


I give in to 2 year old's "NO!", because it's easy, and it's immediate relief (for me). I deal with 3 year old's anger and hollering by firing right back. 5 year old's strong will wins, and I lose every time. These Rowdy Boys of mine have it made.


But their Momma is tired. And their home life is suffering. There are six other people living under this roof, and I don't think we want the Preschoolers in charge.


I'm thinking it's time to discipline God's way.


...and maybe finish that book that I've been working on for almost a year now.


"Discipline your son in his early years while there is hope. If you don't, you will ruin his life." - Proverbs 19:18 TLB
 
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on discipline and parenting boys. How do you keep the peace in your home?