Monday, November 22, 2010

when you can't go over the river and through the woods

I don't know what it is about this Holiday...maybe it's the fact that I have so many fond memories of my mother hosting our family's Thanksgiving Feasts. Maybe it's the sight of all the lonely, bare trees. Maybe it's knowing that everyone else is getting together. Or maybe it's just the fact that I simply cannot make a Pumpkin Pie as well as my Mother...

...but my heart breaks over not being able to go home for Thanksgiving. My chest tightens just thinking about it, and I actually get angry over the fact that we don't own a church bus (to fit my large, little family in).

Today, as I read Almost Home aloud to the children, something Mary's mother said to her spoke directly to my heart, and made me realize, yet again, that I am exactly where I am supposed to be,

"God weaves families together. 'Tis much like the cloth we weave. When we've filled the whole warp, we must remove the cloth from the loom, even though it settled there so tidily. We cut the weaving, and the pieces go for many different things and to many different places. One lot of cloth may go for waistcoats. Even if those waistcoats end up far and wide, you can always tell that they were cut from the same cloth. If the cloth merely stayed on the loom, how would it fulfill its purpose?"

...to which Mary responded,

"But 'tis such a hardship to be torn apart."

Indeed.

Staying here for Thanksgiving is hard for me. Being away from my parents, my sister and her family, my brother's family, my grandparents...it hurts. But Mary's mother is right. Even though I was weaved together with these people, God made me for something different, and for a different place...so that I could fulfill my purpose, His purpose.

My purpose?

To glorify Him.

How?

Loving my husband who He has blessed me with well. And loving and raising our children who He has blessed me with well. I cannot do those things, and pout and wish to be doing something else at the same time.

So I will stay here, and happily, contentedly love and raise my family to the glory of God. And celebrate His faithfulness to our large, little family...in almost the same exact way my family at home in Cincinnati will be celebrating.


Because I was, after all, weaved together with them.
:: Happy Thanksgiving! ::