Tuesday, November 8, 2011

my thoughts on picture study

As the weather gets cooler, and we're spending more time indoors, it's a little easier for this homeschooling momma to fit in some "extra" studies.

For the past few weeks, we have been enjoying the art of Grandma Moses. In October, we studied and narrated Halloween. As the month changed, we moved on to Joy Ride, for the second part of November, we are fittingly using Catching The Thanksgiving Turkey. Then, for the short month of December, we'll be enjoying Christmas At Home or So Long Til Next Year. ... Grandma has so many that I love, it's hard for me to choose. We may just stick with her work until March!
 
We are pretty simple in our approach (as with all our school subjects anymore). We google for a short, easy-to-read biography on the artist, and I read it aloud to the kids. We then look at the picture together, on the computer. The kids then narrate (tell me) what they see in the picture. I don't correct at all. I use our current picture as my desktop background, so they see it everyday. I've also been thinking of buying a few frames from the Dollar Store, to hang our artist's works in on the dining room wall, as we enjoy and study them for a few months.

We don't "copy" like we have in the past anymore. There is just too much creative, original, priceless-to-me artwork being made by little hands in our home everyday, that I don't feel assigning "Art" is necessary.

My goal is exposure. Appreciation. Of good art, that instills good feelings.
That's all. (if the picture is sad, or inappropriate...we don't look. there is enough of that going on in real life. no thank you.)
 
We do own a few "Art" books here in our home, that have been well-used and loved. We've never 'scheduled' them into lesson plans, they are just on our shelves. My little artists pull them off when they're feeling creative:

(a current favorite of both Korinne and TJ)
Wesley's Bible coloring page is from our Gospel Light's Really Big Book of Bible Story Coloring Pages(I love this, because it's non-consumable...we've owned it for 4 years now. And because the drawing are very simple for little ones.)
(part of a series of Picture Books that introduces young children to great artists and their works. I hope to be able to purchase more in the series soon)


***More thoughts on Picture Study***